Friday, October 26, 2012

Chapter 19: Our approach to prayer


All of us, then, should reflect seriously on how to appear before the majesty of God in the presence of his angels. That will lead us to make sure that, when we sing in choir, there is complete harmony between the thought in our mind and the meaning of the words we sing.
 (From Ch. 19 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry OSB, 1997.)

For me, it's in that "complete harmony" that my strongest defense against distraction and despair exists. When I say the mantra lovingly -- and that takes my complete and selfless attention -- I realize that I am already loved.

2 comments:

  1. "We believe that the divine presence is everywhere" begins Chapter 19. We, I, as a meditator believe that with all my heart. My heart then is the altar that I carry with me everywhere and on it I offer my mantra anywhere and anytime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. “We believe that the divine presence is everywhere and ‘that in every place the eyes of God are watching the good and the wicked (Prv 15:3).’ But beyond the least doubt we should believe this to be especially true when we celebrate the divine office.”

    What I give to God, I should give to God fully. When meditating, I am giving God my attention.

    ReplyDelete