Saturday, July 26, 2014

Chapter 48: Daily manual labor (paragraphs 3-5)


As a  special provision during these days of Lent each member of the community is to be given a book from the library to read thoroughly each day in a regular and conscientious way. (From para. 4 of Ch. 48 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry, OSB, 1997.)

I'm interested in Benedict's Lenten directions to have only one book, and to read it daily in a regular and conscientious way. For me, this would be a form of fasting, accustomed as I am to dipping freely into books and the internet. It would also be a form of lectio that would bring my disciplined and selfless attention to the book. Meditation teaches me that I can bring these qualities, even beyond Lent, to every single aspect of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment