Saturday, September 27, 2014

Chapter 7: The value of humility (paragraph 5)


One who follows that way finds protection at all times from sin and vice of thought, of tongue, of hand, of foot, of self-will and of disordered sensual desire, so as to lead a life that is completely open before the scrutiny of God and of his angels who watch over us from hour to hour. (From para. 5 of Ch. 7 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry, OSB, 1997.)

"Scrutiny" can sound like a term that's harsh and judgmental -- but what could it mean but for God and his angels to watch over me, to know me thoroughly, inside and out, deeper than I know myself, and to know why I'm charged with the wonder of human life?

1 comment:

  1. Knowing that God and His angels keep watch over me, I have nothing to fear. Though, knowing that knowledge requires deepest humility.

    ReplyDelete