Friday, May 29, 2015

Chapter 7: The value of humility (paragraph 7)


And so, if the eyes of the Lord are watching the good and the wicked, and if at all times the Lord looks down from heaven on the sons and daughters of men to see if any show understanding in seeking God, and if the angels assigned to care for us report our deeds to the Lord day and night, we must be on our guard every hour or else, as the psalmist says, the time may come when God will observe us falling into evil and so made worthless. (From para. 7 of Ch. 7 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry OSB, 1997.)

How can I be made worthless? How could I possibly be made worthless? I'm not sure that that could truly be the fate of a child of God. And yet, I grasp St. Benedict's urgent message for me to stay awake, to stay aware of God's constant presence, and to seek God constantly. St Paul says that it's in God that I live, and move, and have my being. That is the relationship, already present, that keeps me from being "worthless".

No comments:

Post a Comment