Thursday, March 31, 2016

Chapter 51: Those on local errands or work


Any who are sent on an errand which will allow them to return to the monastery on the same day must not eat outside, in spite of pressing invitations whatever their source, unless the superior has approved this. (From Ch. 51 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry, OSB, 1997.)

Too rushed, too tired -- I can be very quick to rationalize reasons why I can "skip out" on my spiritual attentiveness. St. Benedict is reminding me to always return to my source.

1 comment:

  1. "Eating outside" is a tasting with my mind all the elusive and tantalizing thoughts that come my way via media, events,and self-aggrandizing habits such as shopping. Yes, I can easily "excommunicate" my heart and mind from my center which is Christ. But I can "return"-with the mantra like the monk back to the monastery. "The monk (in this case the Christian meditator) who wants to pray has simply to enter into prayer". (Letters From the Heart by John Main in Daily Readings with John Main, April 2) "Monasteries (in this case the Monastery Without Walls which is everywhere)have so much to offer the world as places where the turning to Christ, the conversion to Christ, is the clear basis of everything that is done in them." By my "return" to Christ in me, I return to the monastery maybe not unscathed, a little bit worse for the wear, but the important thing is my return. "Stay with me Lord. Be with me Lord. Never leave me even if I step outside, and "eat" outside.

    ReplyDelete