Friday, April 8, 2016

Chapter 57: Members of the community with creative gifts


If there are any in the community with creative gifts, they should use them in their workshops with proper humility, provided that they have the permission of the superior. (From para. 1 of Ch. 57 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry, OSB, 1997.)

My understanding of "creative gifts" is expanding. On one hand, it includes a growing quality of selfless attention when I practice my own art, and perhaps share my art with others. On the other hand, creativity begins to characterize the experience of my interaction with all creatures, with all of creation.

2 comments:

  1. " . . . any . . . with creative gifts. . . . should use them . . . with proper humility . . . ". This is one of my favorite yet most challenging chapters of the rule. Julia Cameron, of "The Artist's Way" fame, claims that every one of us is an artist. But I can be such a lazy, perfectionistic artist. Abba, Great Artist, thank you for inviting me to co-create with you, here, now, with this comment. This smidgen of written art is a tiny, fun way to play with you, to work creatively with you, to love, today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "They are to practice their craft with all humility", not becoming "puffed up"nor feeling that "they are conferring something on the monastery"(RB 57.1-3). There are a lot of traps that Benedict describes in this chapter into which I can fall. I do not have a craft but these attitudes can insinuate themselves so easily into whatever I do with the thought that only I can do these things well or better than someone else. Meditation brings me right down to where I ought to be, bowing to God in gratitude and happiness that I am able to be and to do.

    ReplyDelete