Friday, June 24, 2016

Chapter 21: The deans of the monastery


If any of the deans are affected by some breath of pride which lays them open to adverse criticism, they should be corrected once or twice or even three times. (From para. 2 of Ch. 21 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry OSB, 1997.)

The image of breath is more likely to evoke for me the Holy Spirit, rather than pride. But the use of the term "breath of pride" reminds me that selfishness can insinuate its way into absolutely anything, contorting what should be service, into power over others.

1 comment:

  1. "Deans are to be chosen for virtuous living and wise teaching and not their rank,"(RB 21.4) What is virtuous living? Benedict throughout the Rule is telling me what is meant by virtuous living. In chapter 4, The Tools For Good Works, for example, my way of acting should be different from the world's way by putting the love of Christ before all else. Love is the basis for all virtue (Richard Rohr, "Love Never Fails", March 16, 2016). As a "Dean" or a person with
    responsibility, I can be successful, efficient, a social activist, a good cook but if i lack love, I am not virtuous. If I cannot forgive and take offense at someone's criticism of me, I am not virtuous, not loving. John Main in Community of Love, p.60 tells me simply, that the only way I can judge my progress in the spiritual life is by the quality of love that I being to relationships. There it is for me-Love is the way to go. Christ is my blessed helper in the way of love.

    ReplyDelete