Saturday, September 3, 2016

Prologue to The Rule (paragraph 4)


If you wish to have true life that lasts for ever, then keep your tongue from evil; let you lips speak no deceit; turn away from wrongdoing; seek out peace and pursue it. If you do that, [God] says, I shall look upon you with such love and my ears will be so alert to your prayer that, before you so much as call on me, I shall say to you: here I am. What gentler encouragement could we have, my dear brothers and sisters, than that word from the Lord calling us to himself in such a way! We can see with what loving concern the Lord points out to us the path of life. (From para. 4 of the Prologue to The Rule of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry, OSB, 1997.)

If I live with kindness towards all, St. Benedict reminds me, I remember that God is with me before I even call on God. In the same way, if I live with faithful practice of meditation, I realize there is nothing for me to "accomplish" to have true life, for God is already with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment