Saturday, February 25, 2017

Chapter 19: Our approach to prayer


All of us, then, should reflect seriously on how to appear before the majesty of God in the presence of his angels. That will lead us to make sure that, when we sing in choir, there is complete harmony between the thought in our mind and the meaning of the words we sing. (From Ch. 19 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry, OSB, 1997.)

Such complete harmony could only be the gift of God in whose presence I merely practice attention beyond myself.

1 comment:

  1. Appearing "before the majesty of God in the presence of his angels", scares me.
    That is why I need to get to know God through, in, and with prayer. No scratch that word, "prayer" and let me say, "conversation". I have to talk and listen. I talk throughout the day, and then listen with the mantra. I have to listen real hard because He whispers real softly.

    ReplyDelete