Monday, March 27, 2017

Chapter 46: Faults committed elsewhere


Any member of the community who in the course of some work in the kitchen, in the stores, while fulfilling a service to others or in the bakery, the garden or the workshops or anywhere else does something wrong or happens to break or lose something or to be guilty of some other wrongdoing, must as soon as possible appear before the superior and the community with a voluntary admission of the failure and willing reparation for it. (From para. 1 of Ch. 46 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry, OSB, 1997.)

For me, this passage poses an examen: am I doing better at seeing each task, each moment, each person as an opportunity to relate with love and gratitude? Am I better at seeing that, no matter how small the work seems, Christ waits for me there? Am I better at seeing how failures in my attention may require reparation to those around me?

No comments:

Post a Comment