Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Chapter 65: The prior or prioress of the monastery (paragraph 1)


There have been instances when some of these officials have conceived out of an evil spirit of self-importance that they also are superiors and for that reasons have assumed the powers of a tyrant, so that they encourage scandalous divisions in the community. (From para. 1 of Ch. 65 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry, OSB, 1997.)

St. Benedict teaches me that self-importance is a tyrant that ruins both inner and outer harmony. Self-importance, it seems to me, is the opposite of true self-knowledge. Self-knowledge is experiencing my relation to my divine source, and so discovering my true purpose.

2 comments:

  1. Scandalous divisions is very common in the corporate world which is ruled by greed, fear and envy and where superiors feel superior. The challenge is to be rooted in the knowledge that I am called to be a humble servant of God.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In this part of his Rule, St. Benedict reminds me that we are here to give power to, not have power over others; we are here to bring unity, not divisiveness.

    ReplyDelete