Saturday, December 16, 2017

Chapter 61: Monastic pilgrims from far away (paragraphs 1-2)


It may happen, of course, that one of them may find something to point out in criticism about the customs of the monastery, using sound arguments in a spirit of charitable deference. In that case the superior should consider the whole question with care and prudence in case it was for this very purpose that the pilgrim was sent by the Lord. (From para. 1 of Ch. 61 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry, OSB, 1997.)

Pilgrims come into my life, bringing conflict or affection. And I am a pilgrim in theirs. In God's own time, our relationships have the potential to spark personal transformation.

1 comment:

  1. How ready am I to receive new pilgrims in the guise of friends and acquaintances? In my own predosposition, I will never be ready because of my own biases. But with the disposition of being always connected to the source of universal Love ...there is nothing to fear, I can receive guests in my life as Christ.

    ReplyDelete