Sunday, April 15, 2018

Chapter 61: Monastic pilgrims from far away  (paragraphs 1-2)


If, on the other hand, such a pilgrim monk or nun has been revealed as a guest to be overbearing and full of bad habits then not only should all further association with the community be refused but such a guest should quite openly be requested to depart for fear that such a wretched example might lead others astray.  (From para. 1 of Ch. 61 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry, OSB, 1997.)

For me, a fruit of the practice of meditation has been realizing deeper spiritual resources to help me grapple with issues of unhealthy relationships and setting boundaries. And, perhaps, most of all, revealing to me the misguidedness of trying to change anyone, even myself. I see the futility of trying to change myself, as well as the promise of being transformed in the Spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment