Saturday, December 22, 2018

Chapter 65: The prior or prioress of the monastery (paragraph 1)


There have been instances when some of these officials have conceived out of an evil spirit of self-importance that they also are superiors and for that reasons have assumed the powers of a tyrant, so that they encourage scandalous divisions in the community. (From para. 1 of Ch. 65 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry, OSB, 1997.)

There have been instances where my ego has conceived out of an evil spirit of self-importance that it is my superior and for that reason assumes the powers of a tyrant, encouraging scandalous divisions in myself and my relationships. Meditation teaches me my true source and superior.

1 comment:

  1. From my titles and entitlements deliver me, Abba! One of those titles is “Grandpa “. The Rule today reminds me to respect my grandchildren enough to let their parents decide how to raise them and discipline them, even though their parenting protocols sometimes differ vastly from my own. You entitle me only to love my grown children and their children unconditionally, as you do.

    ReplyDelete