Saturday, July 27, 2019

Chapter 47: Signaling the times for the work of God


The superior is personally responsible for making sure that the time for the work of God, both at night at during the daytime, is clearly made known to all. (From para. 1 of Ch. 47 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry, OSB, 1997.)

Something as simple as letting my family and friends around me know that I meditate, and that those times are regular and sacred, is a way for me to "signal the time for the work of God". Doing this helps me in my commitment, and helps others to respect the appropriate boundaries of the practice.

1 comment:

  1. “...let [the Work of God] be done with humility, gravity, and reverence . . . .” And with deep gratitude for your personal, loving invitation to me to be with you, to rest in your arms.

    ReplyDelete