Monday, November 26, 2012

Chapter 47: Signalling the times for the work of God


The superior is personally responsible for making sure that the time for the work of God, both at night at during the daytime, is clearly made known to all.
(From para. 1 of Ch. 47 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry OSB, 1997.)

Today, St. Benedict exhorts me to a bravely counter-cultural stance. The "work of God", in the broadest sense of living in Christ-consciousness, is unwelcome and unfamiliar to the world at large. But, the Spirit moves to help me realize Christ in the world.

2 comments:

  1. "So that everything may be done at the proper time." I am grateful for having this gift of "The Hours" which give schedule to a life of prayer. In the morning and the evening, they bring me to the Psalms , the words by which I can praise,thank, cry to God and echo Christ who prayed them also. The "Readings" give me food for reflection. My day is blessed with "the Opus Dei".

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so easy for me to put off the work of God. I need the regular rhythm of meditation to help me remember.

    ReplyDelete