Monday, December 3, 2012

Chapter 52: The oratory of the monastery


The oratory must be simply a place of prayer, as the name itself implies, and it must not be used for any other activities at all nor as a place for storage of any kind.
(From Ch. 52 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry OSB, 1997.)

Jesus teaches me to pray contemplatively in my heart: "But when you pray, go into your room and shut the door and pray to your Father who is in secret" (Matt 6:6).  My inner room is my heart, my oratory, where Jesus dwells. In practicing selfless attention to Him, there is no room for egotism or psychological baggage of any kind.

1 comment:

  1. "If at other times some choose to pray privately,they may simply go in and pray,not in a loud voice, but with tears and heartfelt devotion." I am glad Benedict brought up this kind of private prayer. I am realizing that I need to make time for this kind of prayer, a "God-me" talk, voicing words from my heart which can often be accompanied by tears. No one else hears, and I let it all out. Meditation is sitting in the presence of God focusing on one word and listening with the heart. Devotional prayers use prescribed words and I can almost hypnotize myself into thinking I am really praying when I am not. What Benedict describes here is what I feel I have been avoiding and am making a real effort to do- talk with God in the car,and at home. After all, this is the ultimate relationship and dialogue is essential for any relationship to develop

    ReplyDelete