Saturday, April 6, 2013

Chapter 55: Clothing and footwear for the community (paragraphs 1-2)


The local conditions and climate should be the deciding factors in questions about the clothing of the community, because obviously in a cold climate more clothing is needed and less where it is warm.
(From para. 1 of Ch. 55 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry OSB, 1997.)

I peel away at the layers of things and ideas that I use the present a false identity, a false self. The practice of meditation is that peeling away, and helps me find my true and humble place in relation to the created world.

1 comment:

  1. Just having been clothes shopping out of necessity and having had to travel a distance to do so, I reflected on the need for simple, uniform clothing. It is like prayer, like meditation isn't it? I do not have to shop around or travel or spend any money for what is so simple-meditation. It is here with me and my little one word mantra-quite uniform but oh so unique to each one of us as my life and your life is changed.

    ReplyDelete