Monday, December 22, 2014

Chapter 64: The election of an abbot or abbess (paragraphs 3-4)

They must be so well-grounded in the law of God so that they may have the resources to bring forth what is new and what is old in their teaching. (From para. 3 of Ch. 64 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry, OSB, 1997.)

Bringing forth "what is new and what is old in their teaching" expresses, for me, my own experience of being personally and vitally engaged with the ancient wisdom tradition embodied in Benedict's Rule.

1 comment:

  1. “ . . . let him always exalt ‘mercy above judgment,’ that he also may obtain mercy.” I honor you, I feel, Abba, by calling you “Amma”, Mama, Mother as well as “Abba.” Jesus said that “he who sees me sees the Father”. I see Jesus—and, therefore, you--weeping over his people and comparing himself to a mother hen wanting to gather her chicks under her wings but they stubbornly refused. Abba/Amma, soften my stony heart and hard, stubborn head. Humbly, simply, so imperfectly, silently repeating the mantra twice a day keeps me on your mercy-full path.

    ReplyDelete