Friday, January 22, 2016

Chapter 5: Monastic obedience (paragraphs 1-3)


The first step on the way to humility is to obey an order without delaying for a moment. That is a response which comes easily to those who hold nothing dearer than Christ himself. (From para. 1 of Ch. 5 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry OSB, 1997.)

Benedict's injunction could sometimes lead me, not to obedience, but to impulsivity or confusion. This is especially true if my ego is in overdrive, if I am coming from a place of fear, and my own discernment isn't clear. But "holding nothing dearer than Christ himself" will lead me to a loving relationship to those around me. Meditation leads me to a grounding in the heart, and a responsiveness borne of love.

1 comment:

  1. Chapter 5: Obedience,RB5.10-13

    “It is love that impels them to pursue everlasting life; therefore they are eager to take the narrow road “…that leads to life”(Matt 7:14). “They no longer live by their own judgment…choosing to live in monasteries and to have an abbot over them”(RB 5.10-13)

    The “narrow road” is the road of meditation knowing full well that I could not live by my own judgment and have chosen to “live” in the WCCM community with spiritual guides to help light the way. It is the way, as John Main calls it, the way of the mantra.

    “The Rule alone is not enough”(Chittister in The Rule of Benedict, p.70). “Each of us needs a wisdom figure to walk the Way” (of life), holding us up during the hard times in life; acting as compasses when we are veering off course. There is no going through life alone.(Chittister, p.71)

    Yes, Christ is there but a lot of times He is very quiet and I don’t know if I am listening hard enough. Meditation, the way of the mantra and wisdom teachers help me to listen to Christ’s quiet voice with the ears of my heart.

    ReplyDelete