Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Chapter 19: Our approach to prayer


All of us, then, should reflect seriously on how to appear before the majesty of God in the presence of his angels. That will lead us to make sure that, when we sing in choir, there is complete harmony between the thoughts in our mind and the meaning of the words we sing. (From Ch. 19 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry, OSB,, 1997.)

Complete harmony -- an ever greater integration of my being in the heart. This is fullness of life, at least in this life.

2 comments:

  1. When I experience disharmony (which is, more often than not, the case), when my pilgrimage feels more like hard work than a joyful pursuit, it is because I have become distracted and my focus is not on God, Who is love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. “We believe that the divine presence is everywhere…” I have been guilty of forgetting that one simple truth and allowing situations and people to overwhelm me. What happens because of my being overwhelmed? I turn in on myself with blame, guilt, self-doubt and anxiety and fear. The key to not being overwhelmed is to allow Christ to enter the mix of situations and relationships with the simple repetition of the mantra. As Jean Vanier explained in his talk during the 2016 John Main Seminar in Trosly, France, “Jesus is our peace.” When I allow Christ entrance, I can look at others with kindness and gentleness. It is a look of love. It is a way of peace for myself and others.

    ReplyDelete