Monday, October 31, 2016

Chapter 24: Different degrees of severity in punishment


The severity of excommunication or any other punishment should correspond to the gravity of the fault committed, and it is for the superior to decide about the seriousness of faults. (From Ch. 24 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry, OSB, 1997.)

This direction from Benedict powerfully focusses the light on my responsibility, by linking my self-righteousness about "punishing" another with an urge to overreact. I'm responsible in any situation where I get hurt or angry, and have an opportunity to respond to another. Do I react with a wallop of uncontrolled emotion? Do I step back and consult my Inner Teacher? Do I with respond with love, appropriateness, and concern for the other and our relationship?

1 comment:

  1. Often, I am blind to my faults. How wonderful it is to have a loving community in which I do not seek to hide or to justify my faults. How wonderful it is to have a community that is willing to shine its loving light of my faults.

    ReplyDelete