Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Chapter 60: The admission of priests into the monastery

If, however, he shows real perseverance in his request, he must understand that, if accepted, he will be bound to observe the full discipline of the Rule and may expect no relaxations. (From para. 1 of Ch. 60 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry, OSB, 1997.)

Personal privilege isn't a very constructive attitude in family or community life. I need to discern carefully when I'm called to lead, and then respond in a way not imposed by the ego, but borne of true self-knowledge.

1 comment:

  1. "Everyone has to be open to being formed again. The only thing that can possibly deter the new formation is if we ourselves refuse to let go of what was. If we cling to the past, the future is closed to us." (Joan Chittister, "Rule of Benedict Daily Reading"). Abba, help me to relax my firm grip on the past. Open my heart to the ever-new day and the ever-new future adventure you have in store for me.

    ReplyDelete