Saturday, December 24, 2016

Chapter 68: The response to orders that seem impossible


If the superior after listening to this submission still insists on the original command, then the junior must accept that it is the right thing and with loving confidence in the help of God obey. (From Ch. 68 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. By Patrick Barry, OSB, 1997.)

In facing an impossible situation, obedience seems very much like faith to me.  I learn both in trusting the mantra to lead me to find God in my weak and vulnerable places.

1 comment:

  1. My "magnificent magnifying mind" can be such an incredible liar! So often it inclines to tell me that this or that upcoming challenge will be impossible to meet, like caring for these, our three and eight year old grandchildren. And the reality that I get to discover and rediscover, by your grace, Abba, is that such challenges over a month or a week or even just tomorrow ARE impossible. But every challenge IS possible to meet just for this one day, when I respond to your invitation to live it together with you. There is nothing that can happen to me today that you and I cannot handle together. And the gift of meditation nourishes that togetherness.

    ReplyDelete