Wednesday, November 8, 2017

Chapter 31: The qualities required by the cellarer (paragraphs 2-3)


Among the most important qualities the cellarer needs to cultivate is humility and the ability to give a pleasant answer even when a request must be refused. Remember how scripture says that a kindly word is of greater value that a gift, however precious. (From para. 2 of Ch. 31 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry, OSB, 1997.)

St. Benedict teaches me that the spirit of service is kindness. Kindness I recognize as a fruit of the Spirit, a fruit of meditation. Kindness directs the hearts of giver and receiver into right relationship.

1 comment:

  1. The Cellarer shall perform his duties with such gentleness and efficiency
    “... that no one may be troubled or vexed in the house of God.”
    Abba, forgive my too often past officious and self-centered behavior that has left others “vexed or troubled” in my wake. Through humble faithfulness to my meditation and the mantra you are helping heal my restless and vexatious spirit.

    ReplyDelete