Monday, November 13, 2017

Chapter 35:  Weekly servers in the kitchen and at table (paragraphs 3-4)


One hour before the time of a meal those serving in the kitchen and at table should each receive a drink and some bread in addition to their regular portion. This will help them to serve the community at mealtime without stress and without murmuring about their lot. (From para. 3 of Ch. 35 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry, OSB, 1997.)

Are there ways for me to help others in my community to serve? Can I check my own judgmental and complaining behavior, however subtle, that harms the spirit of the community I serve?

1 comment:

  1. “To make sure we do not forget that humble work is as sacred and sanctifying as prayer, Benedict blesses the kitchen servers of the week in the middle of the chapel.”(Joan Chittister). Abba, help me to treat every dish I wash as a sacred vessel of the altar and every person I serve today as you.

    ReplyDelete