Tuesday, May 29, 2018

Chapter 7: The value of humility (paragraph 6)


As to pursuing our own will we are warned against that when scripture says to us: turn away from your own desires; and in the Lord's prayer itself we pray that his will may be brought to fulfilment in  us.  (From para. 6 of Ch. 7 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry OSB, 1997.)

For me, the Lord's prayer links with forgiveness, a returning to right order in relationship with God, with others, with all of creation. Self-will has no place here.

1 comment:

  1. Every day you offer me a choice, Abba: your will or my will. As my recovered alcoholic friend put it: every day I get to choose the happy side or the suicide. Your will is the happy side choice and my stubborn will leads me to disillusionment and self-destruction.

    ReplyDelete