Wednesday, September 5, 2018

Prologue to The Rule (paragraph 6)


The Lord himself in the gospel teaches us the same when he says: I shall liken anyone who hears my words and carries them out in deed to one who is wise enough to build on a rock; then the floods came and the winds blew and struck that house, but it did not fall because it was built on a rock. (From para. 6 of The Prologue to The Rule of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry, OSB, 1997.)

The practice of meditation is my rock, my twice-daily grounding throughout the tumult of my life. But during those times when my life seems mostly to reflect the tumult rather than the rock, I can still recover faith in the firm ground, I can always know what my practice is, and eventually the rock rises up to meet me.

No comments:

Post a Comment