Monday, October 29, 2018

Chapter 22: Sleeping arrangements for the community


In the morning, as they are getting up for the work of God, they should quietly give encouragement to those who are sleepy and given to making excuses for being late. (From para. 2 of Ch. 22 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry, OSB, 1997.)

Reading this passage I feel the tenderness of a supportive community. I can be vulnerable (though sleepiness or weakness), and my brother or sister who is more awake (in one way or another) can affirm my belonging and potential for growth.

1 comment:

  1. “It’s a brand new day, everything is fine!” So goes the delightful hymn. The words describe your perspective, Abba. You made and go on making the universe and everything and everyone in it, including me and “saw that it was good.” Open my eyes. Help me to see as you see, to love as you love.

    ReplyDelete