Friday, October 5, 2018

Chapter 7: The value of humility (paragraph 14)


I was raised up high in honour, but then I was humbled and overwhelmed with confusion. In the end we may learn to say: it was good for me, Lord, that you humbled me so that I might learn your precepts. (From para. 14 of Ch.7 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry, OSB, 1997.)

I'm reassured that confusion, even suffering and grief, can be opportunities for growth. Meditation has taught me that even the challenges of fidelity to the mantra can be part of a cleansing process which helps me to recognize a reality greater than the projections of my ego.

1 comment:

  1. Confusion is the gateway to humility and to wisdom, Benedict reminds me today. And the way through the obscurity is to let you hold my hand firmly, Abba.

    ReplyDelete