Wednesday, January 2, 2019

Prologue to The Rule (paragraph 3)


Let us open our eyes to the light that can change us into the likeness of God. (From para. 3 of The Prologue to The Rule from Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry, OSB, 1997.)

St Benedict is telling me nothing less than that there is a light that can change me, change us, into the likeness of God! For me, this light is the mantra, a sound so silent that it is a focussed beam of attention leading me away from self-centeredness to the Other. In this way I can find the clarity to see reality beyond my ideas about reality.

1 comment:

  1. “Open my eyes, Lord, help to see like you. Open my eyes, Lord, help me to see” go the lyrics of one of my favorite hymns. Benedict here reminds me of how meditation and the Rule help heal my inherent blindness to Your Reality and to how unfathomable is your love for me and everyone I meet.

    ReplyDelete