Monday, May 6, 2019

Prologue to The Rule (paragraph 7)


We must, therefore, prepare our hearts and bodies to serve him under the guidance of holy obedience. Conscious in this undertaking of our own weakness let us ask the Lord to give us through grace the help we need. (From para. 7 of Prologue to The Rule of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry, OSB, 1997.)

When I reflect on what it means to me to "prepare my heart and body", I realize I'm called to a clearing out of attachments. I once heard that, "attachments can cause distorted thinking". The mantra helps me to be free.

1 comment:

  1. “Holy Obedience” means pausing from my natural frenetic compulsivity long enough to hear you gently inviting me. It means to wholly listen to you, Abba, to catch the nuances of your affection and eagerness to be with me in the midst of whatever is going on in my life today.
    Meditation facilitates our connection.

    ReplyDelete