Thursday, August 8, 2019

Chapter 55: Clothing and footwear for the community (paragraphs 3-4)

There is one saying, however, from the Acts of the Apostles which the superior must always bear in mind, namely that proper provision was made according to the needs of each. (From para. 4 of Ch. 55 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry, OSB, 1997.)

Living in a world with so much "stuff", I can easily scatter my energies or overindulge in material things, so that it can be hard to know what I or anyone else really needs. But, over time, the discipline of saying the mantra helps me to discern much about the practicalities of life -- from how my behavior might affect the wellbeing of all of us on our planet, to seeing what someone else might need in the way of a kind word, a loving gesture, a prayer, a presence.

1 comment:

  1. Today you invite me once again to rest my weary, restless heart in you, Abba. I do so by embracing you in this sacramental present moment with all its circumstances, including what I have to wear. I begin in the silence, simplicity and joy of being with you in my meditation.

    ReplyDelete