Friday, August 16, 2019

Chapter 61: Monastic pilgrims from far away (paragraphs 2-3)


But if no such negative signs are apparent it may be right to go further and not wait for a request to be accepted in the community. It may even be right to persuade such a one to stay so that others may benefit and learn from such example. (From para. 2 of Ch. 61 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry, OSB, 1997.)

Sometimes, I might think that God "made something happen" in my life. The experience itself may spur me to gratitude and offer me purpose and meaning. But, at the same time, I need to remember that labelling events as, "the will of God" is perhaps only an effort of my thinking mind to be in control.

1 comment:

  1. Fr. Thomas Keating’s 1984 “experiment” of inviting contemplatives from eight different spiritual traditions to his Colorado monastery to meditate and dialogue together flowed naturally from the Rule’s open-armed welcoming of pilgrims. Open my heart, Abba, to see and to listen for you in everyone I encounter today.

    ReplyDelete