Friday, November 22, 2013

Chapter 43: Late-comers for the work of God or in the refectory (paragraphs 4-5)


In the refectory all must come to table together so as to offer their grace together as one community.
(From para. 4 of Ch. 43 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry, OSB, 1997.)

Here, grace means thanksgiving, and Benedict instructs me to offer my grace together as one with others. In this way,  I also understand grace to mean the way the way the Spirit is present and active in loving community.

1 comment:

  1. “Late have I loved Thee”, prayed Augustine. Better late than never to the work of God or to the spiritual banquet, I muse. I awaken and reawaken daily to learning how to be still, silent and simple and how to love Thee, here, now, within me and within each of my sisters and brothers.

    ReplyDelete