Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Chapter 47: Signalling the times for the work of God


The superior is personally responsible for making sure that the time for the work of God, both at night at during the daytime, is clearly made known to all. (From para. 1 of Ch. 47 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry, OSB, 1997.)

Today, St. Benedict exhorts me to a bravely counter-cultural stance. The "work of God", in the broadest sense of living in Christ-consciousness, is unwelcome and unfamiliar to the world at large. But, the Spirit moves to help me realize Christ in the world.

1 comment:

  1. For St. Benedict the Work of God includes singing and reading. I am sure he would include my writing this comment, sharing my truth as I see it, and letting God and my superior decide if it is helpful and appropriate. Too often my perfectionism, the arrogance of my low self-esteem, leads me to bury my pittance of a talent. Like the man in Jesus’ parable, fear leads me to keep my light, however small it seems to me, under a basket. Perfect love casts out fear, St Paul says. Lord, Spirit of Love, perfect my love, today.

    ReplyDelete