Thursday, December 12, 2013

Chapter 58: The reception of candidates for the community (paragraphs 4-5)

Before making their profession novices should give any possessions they may have either to the poor or to the monastery in a formal document keeping back for themselves nothing at all in the full knowledge that from that day they retain no power over anything -- not even over their own bodies. (From para. 5 of Ch. 58 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry, OSB, 1997.)

Retaining no power over anything, controlling nothing even with my thoughts and fantasies -- this is the poverty of spirit that the mantra demands.

1 comment:

  1. "Keeping back.. nothing at all...retain no power over anything" to me is synonymous to letting go and letting be. This morning, I was late in my speaking engagement. I took the public transport (longer and slower route) because my boss did not allow me to have that "long early drive." If this incident happened before, I may have acted impatiently. But letting go of control of this situation allowed me the "gift of discerning" why this incident has to happen. In fact, in my talk, I was able to use what happened as a beautiful example to emphasize the main point of my topic :-)

    ReplyDelete