Sunday, November 11, 2018

Chapter 34: Fair provision for the needs of all


This principle from scripture should be established in the monastery, namely that distribution was made to each in accordance with their needs. This, however, should not be taken to mean that favouritism of individuals can be tolerated; far from it. It should simply be a way of showing proper consideration for needs arising from individual weakness. (From Ch. 34 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry, OSB, 1997.)

Distributing goods according to needs, showing proper consideration for needs arising from individual weakness. I hear St Benedict talking about discernment, that is, looking at situations with selfless attention, and so knowing what to do.

1 comment:

  1. Beware “the evil of murmuring”: how easily I can get into disgruntled griping about the way things are in this world of yours, Abba. My negativity quickly or slowly destroys me and those around me. Meditation counters this in its healing silence. There You teach me how to embrace the sacrament of the present moment and relearn that nothing, absolutely nothing, happens in your world by mistake.

    ReplyDelete