Tuesday, November 20, 2018

Chapter 42: The great silence after Compline


Silence should be sought at all times by monks and nuns and this is especially important for them at night time. (From para. 1 of Ch. 42 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry, OSB, 1997.)

As I prepare to fall asleep at night, I rarely think about what trust it takes to allow myself to fall into sleep. Just as when I prepare to meditate, I rarely think about what trust it takes to let go of habits of mind. But Benedict helps me to see that silence may be bringing me closer to my natural condition of trust.

1 comment:

  1. “Open our hearts to the silent presence of the Spirit of your Son. Lead us into that mysterious silence where your love is revealed to all who call." Through silence and stillness you open me, Abba. You lead me. You love me.

    ReplyDelete