Sunday, June 30, 2019

Chapter 23: Faults which deserve excommunication


If even this does not bring reform then excommunication should be the next penalty, provided that the meaning of such a punishment is really understood. (From Ch. 23 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry, OSB, 1997.)

Benedict identifies the point at which separation from community is necessary to help a troubled soul appreciate the grace and purpose of community. In my own life, habits of mind like judgment and alienation carry their own self-isolating misery, as divided states of mind. Meditation helps me to recognize these self-centered mindsets so that I, too,  can appreciate the grace and purpose of community.

1 comment:

  1. Self-centered fear leads me to isolate, to excommunicate myself, to hide myself as Adam did in the Garden. You-centered love rekindled in my meditation in community, Abba, casts out this fear.

    ReplyDelete