Monday, June 10, 2019

Chapter 7: The value of humility (paragraphs 19-20)


Good habit and delight in virtue will carry us along.  (From para. 20 of Ch. 7 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry OSB, 1997.)

In a sense, I would say that John Main quantified aspects of the practice of meditation to help establish understanding of it as a "good habit": 20-30 minutes, twice a day, saying the mantra for the whole time of the meditation. What can emerge from this discipline is a creative rhythm to my life that carries me along.

1 comment:

  1. “Having, therefore, ascended all these degrees of humility, the monk will presently arrive at that love of God, which being perfect, casteth out fear.” Benedict reminds me that my use of meditation and the Rule is not just a self-improvement project but a Love-, a You-connection project, Abba, a gentle, falling ever more deeply in love with You, process. I turn and become your little one.

    ReplyDelete