Saturday, January 4, 2020

Prologue to The Rule (paragraph 5)


And so to prepare ourselves for the journey before us let us renew our faith and set ourselves high standards by which to lead our lives. [...] Such a follower of Christ lives in reverence of him and does not take the credit for a good life but believing that all the good we do comes from the Lord, gives him the credit and thanksgiving for what his gift brings about in our hearts. (From para. 5 of The Prologue to The Rule of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry, OSB, 1997.)

I often remember Fr John's description of a monk as "organizing life around an utterly clear priority".  In my life, that utterly clear priority is the practice of meditation. Fr John has also reminded me that meditation isn't "my" meditation but an opening to the stream of love that flows between the Son and the Father. Opening myself to original love in this way can bring me the gifts which are the fruit of meditation.

No comments:

Post a Comment