Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Chapter 21: The deans of the monastery


If any of the deans are affected by some breath of pride which lays them open to adverse criticism, they should be corrected once or twice or even three times.
(From para. 2 of Ch. 21 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry OSB, 1997.)

To me, the breath seems to be a very positive and and vital image. But Benedict uses the breath to describe the subtle nature of pride. This reminds me that the ego can insinuate itself into any aspect of just about anything, no matter how good it seems. Whatever authority is entrusted to me, should totally grounded in the Author of life.

2 comments:

  1. "Good repute" and "holy life", "virtuous living" and "wise teaching" are Benedict's criteria for choosing a dean of a monastery. These words describe the two disciplines for managing my life-the discipline of solitude in meditation and the discipline of community life. Without one or the other I cannot stand or walk with Christ.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My daily translation is a little different saying “puffed up with any pride”. I looked there, but found the use of “breath” pointed to the need for more introspection of those little things that have a tendency to creep in and inflate my ego. I am so grateful for a merciful, forgiving, loving God.

    ReplyDelete