Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Chapter 7: The value of humility (paragraph 15)


The eighth step of humility teaches us to do nothing which goes beyond what is approved and encouraged by the common rule of the monastery and the example of our seniors.
(Para. 15 of Ch. 7 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry OSB, 1997.)

Is St. Benedict telling me to squelch my initiative?  How could that possibly be, when, in seeking God, I enter more and more into God's creative energy? And yet, I'm grateful to those mentors, and to those who've gone before me in faith, who help me to understand how I'm called to manifest God's energy in the world.

1 comment:

  1. What is encouraged and approved is that I do not look for "returns" or "pay-offs" from my meditation practice like lowering my blood pressure, or levitating or whatever else is out there touting the benefits of meditation. Daily meditation is like "breathing" without it I do not know how to live; without it I do not know how to truly love.

    ReplyDelete