Saturday, February 2, 2013

Chapter 7: The value of humility (paragraph 12)


The fifth step of humility is that we should not cover up but humbly confess to our superior or spiritual guide whatever evil thoughts come into our minds and the evil deeds we have done in secret.
(From para. 12 of Ch. 7 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry OSB, 1997.)

The practice of selfless attention leads me to appreciate the beauty of the transparent spirit, reflected in the face of one who is truly humble.  That "one" can, with the grace of God, also be me.

1 comment:

  1. Every time I sit to meditate with however many distractions by returning to the mantra repeatedly, the distractions are weakened and I begin to see through them. That is, I begin to understand the patterns, the addictions, the reality of them, as I look beyond through them to Christ.

    ReplyDelete