Friday, February 1, 2013

Chapter 7: The value of humility (paragraphs 10-11)


The fourth step of humility is to go even further than this by readily accepting in patient and silent endurance, without thought of giving up or avoid the issue, any hard or demanding things that may come our way in the course of that obedience, even if they include harsh impositions which are unjust.
(From para. 10 of Ch.7 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry OSB, 1997.)

Sometimes willing behavior change makes possible what my weak and injured ego cannot achieve on its own.

2 comments:

  1. It is in the daily perseverence to the path of meditation, that my ego learns humility. It is a contradiction to culture's idea of immediate gratification, reward and control over my life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What I come to realize is that I cannot make it on my own when things get tough and I am up against a wall, against an obstinate situation. The tougher the situation, the harder it is for me to endure silently. It causes me to reach out to others and most of all in prayer.

    ReplyDelete