Friday, May 9, 2014

Chapter 1: Four approaches to the monastic life


About the wretched way of life that all these so-called monks pursue it is better to keep silence than to speak. Let us leave them to themselves and turn to the strongest kind, the cenobites, so that with the Lord's help we may consider the regulation of their way of life. (From para. 5 of Ch. 1 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry, OSB, 1997.)

Dietrich Bonhoeffer says: "He who loves community destroys community; he who loves the brethren builds community."  It seems to me that community is built through mutually-transforming relationships.

2 comments:

  1. I determined that mercy, which is so central to the Bible, has by and large been forgotten or is given very little attention in systematic theology. Christian spirituality and mysticism is way ahead of academic theology in this question.” (Walter Kasper, “Mercy: The Essence of the Gospel and the Key to Christian Life.” Kindle loc 178ff). You are the Way, and Your Way is Mercy. I want to follow the monks that follow this, your Path, for whatever days you give me on the planet, Lord. Guide me, support me, today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Remember -that when I step into the other-centeredness of Christ with a "yes" to the Father I will be where I am supposed to be. Often the grass looks greener over in the other field and that means I am not looking at the Shepherd and where He is leading me but at the grass below my feet.

    ReplyDelete