Saturday, May 10, 2014

Chapter 2: Gifts needed by an abbot or abbess (paragraph 1)


Far from it, everything he or she teaches should be like a leaven of holiness that comes from God infused into the minds of their disciples. (From para.1 of Ch. 2 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry, OSB,)
  
A new twist for me in St. Benedict's simile -- "like a leaven of holiness" -- is the realization that, with grace, I can discern the redemptive value of circumstances, and again, with grace, I might share this lightness with others. 

2 comments:

  1. I have “Abbot” responsibilities now, too, as an “abba”, a father and grandfather to two grown sons and their families, including four grandsons. Imperfect at “abboting”, fathering, as I am, teach me to die daily like that seed you spoke of, Lord, so that my life may be fruitful for all those you entrust to me in one way or another.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Living in communities of family, Church, meditators, or state we can be like "abbots" or "prioresses", that is , other Christs, "simple, unassuming, immersed in God, loving of the marginal, doer of the gospel, beacon to the strong".
    ( J. Chittister's reflection) There is no room here for an ego trip based on a feeling of righteousness. It is the gospel, the word of God that humbles me as it filters to my heart through the meditation practice and prayer. I pray that it may be so because I cannot ever rely on my ego believing that it is a reality.

    ReplyDelete