Sunday, May 18, 2014

Chapter 3: Calling the community together for consultation (paragraphs 2-3)


Such is the appropriate way to conform to that precept of scripture: If you act always after hearing the counsel of others, you will avoid the need to repent of your decision afterwards. (From para. 3 of Ch. 3 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry, OSB, 1997.)

At one time, I might have thought that the counsel of others would be confusing or harmful to my independence. But as I meditator I've learned that the spirit of unity is more powerful than the spirit of autonomy.

1 comment:

  1. “Do everything with counsel and you will not repent when you have done it” (Eccles. 32:24). Benedict’s reference in today’s reading reminds me of how graphically this has applied to my marriage and family life. With regard to disciplining our two sons, I had to learn the hard way how important it was for me to get “on the same page” with, that is, take “counsel” with my wife and life partner. She was a lot better about setting clear boundaries with them than I was, but my egocentric macho arrogance could not admit how much I had to learn. My insolence made the normal growing pains of raising adolescents so much worse than it had to be. Through your grace and with professional family counseling they are raised now. Keep me humble, Abba, with them and their families and with whomever I meet this day.

    ReplyDelete