Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Chapter 38: The weekly reader


During meals there should be complete silence disturbed by no whispering nor should anyone's voice be heard except the reader's. Everyone in the community should be attentive to the needs of their neighbours as they eat and drink so that there should be no need for anyone to ask for what they require. (From para. 2 of Ch. 38 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry, OSB, 1997.)

I ponder Benedict's instruction to be totally open to the words of the reader, while at the same time being aware of the needs of others. Divided attention? I don't think so. Rather, selfless attention. The spirit of love. It seems to me that selfless attention can harmonize conditions that otherwise might fragment my awareness.

3 comments:

  1. I hear St. Benedict telling me that words are inadequate to convey our deepest needs. If we want to know our deepest needs, we need to engage our deepest listening.Deep listening can only be done in deep silence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. While dinners in my household with eight and ten year old boys do not have the silent quality of meals in the monastery, Benedict reminds me of the need to be present to my community/family, especially during the most communal of acts of sharing a meal. The reader for me are my children's voices, sharing their day, and I am paying attention to their needs (at least that is what I strive for!).

    ReplyDelete
  3. As Fr Laurence reminds us "For the Desert Fathers, distractedness is almost the same as original sin". Anything that distracts us from Love is well worth diminishing.

    ReplyDelete